Good Afternoon lovelies!
The summer months are approaching and I can honestly admit that I dread bikini season sometimes. I look forward to swimming at the beach and tanning by the pool but even though I’m mentally excited, I have to be physically excited. I don’t mean how my body looks, but how my body feels. I’ve spent many summers in the past sleeping in and binge-watching Netflix shows. Although that can be relaxing, I end up wasting a lot of time. I notice the change in my mood on the days I spend outdoors and running errands; I’m happier when I’m productive and active.
There’s a huge misconception that people feel the need to diet and prepare before the summer months rather than developing and maintaining a healthier lifestyle throughout the year. It takes time to maintain a consistent routine and it can be overwhelming when I try to accomplish every goal of mine all at once. Instead, I like to start off with small tweaks to my usual daily routine and when I’m able to do those tasks consistently, they transition into regular habits. I try to not focus on the concept of living a healthy life, but rather, living a healthier day than the day before. After all, how you live each day is how you live your life. Here are three small lifestyle changes I’ve incorporated for a healthier life:
- Stretch every morning! I applaud the people that can wake up at 5 A.M. and hit the gym right away haha. For me, it takes some time to feel energized and awake in the morning so I like to slowly ease into my routine for the day. Before I wash up and sip my morning coffee, I like to stretch out a little to help me feel refreshed and ready to get moving. I tend to sleep in the fetal position (I know, it’s terrible!) so stretching my body helps with the tension that I feel in the morning. If you’re like me and have a serious problem getting out of bed, then start with some stretches you can do while staying in bed (here) and then move onto the stretches out of bed (here). A small change like stretching can transition into morning yoga, going for a small walk or jog, and eventually hitting the gym.
- Walk more! The difficult thing about living in the suburbs is that since everything is spread out, you have to drive to get around town. For example, I can’t walk to my neighborhood grocery store so I try to incorporate walking in other aspects of my daily routine. You can try them too!
- Park your car a little further away when you go shopping or into work to get some extra steps in
- Pick the stairs over the elevator.
- Instead of checking your phone, go on a 5 minute walk as a destresser.
- Go for a small walk around the block after eating.
- Look good! The first step to feeling good is looking good. I don’t necessarily mean to go all red-carpet glam every morning, but just add a little bit of maintenance to your “get-ready” routine and always dress for the occasion. Every night, I look at my calendar so I’m more familiar with what I have to do for the next day. I plan accordingly and prepare my outfit for the next day. It’s crucial to dress the right part for whatever task you have to do. As Maria Sharapova says: “When you look good, you feel good.” And it’s so true! It places you in the right mindset, which allows you to put additional effort in. When I go to the gym, I don’t dress conveniently in sweatpants and a t-shirt. When I do, I’ve noticed the dramatic affect on my mood, I enter the gym with a lazy mindset and rush through my routine so I can leave immediately after. Instead, I’ll opt for nice fitted leggings, a cute matching sports-bra under my top, and put my hair up in a ponytail. It’s a little bit more effort to find a matching workout set and to fix my hair before I leave for the gym, but I feel more confident and more excited to workout. Thank you so much to our sponsor, Ellie Activewear, for these super stylish, yet functional, workout gear! You can snag a matching workout sets like mine here. #twinsies
I love matching workout gear! It’s so fun to mix-and-match different sets, but keeping it in the same color palette makes the outfit look more polished. I personally love Ellie Activewear because not only are the pieces good-quality and comfortable to wear, but they come out with a new matching collection every month! That’s amazing! You can have workout clothes up to a $150 in value delivered right to your doorstep priced at either: $39.95 a month for 3 pieces or $49.95 a month for 5 pieces. Their sizes range from XS-XL to accommodate for all types of body shapes and provide a different colors, textures, and styles every month! I’ve never been more excited to dress up before I work out! You can shop the collection I’m wearing here or their other unique collections here. Every month, I get so excited to see the new collection because it’s creatively curated around a color story or theme! The new items are announced the 1st of every month so you know what to expect. If you don’t like the outfit of a certain month then you have to option to skip it!
One of my must-haves at the gym is a good playlist to workout to. I usually create my own playlist or experiment with the different Spotify recommendations. I love listening to music to help me get in the zone. However, holding up a phone can get irritating sometimes so I recommend using a cellphone armband to hold your phone in place while working out. I also try to stay hydrated but I’m very forgetful with leaving my water bottles everywhere when it comes to plastic bottles so I avoid using those. I’ve noticed that I’m a lot more careful when it’s an aesthetic bottle that I specifically picked out and purchased haha. Lastly, I have to have my hair up. One of my favorite hairstyles for myself is having my hair combed back into a ponytail. I feel more confident and focused even though the fly-aways just never seem to stay down!
Ellie Activewear creates such unique pieces that are different from any other athletic clothing line I’ve seen. This cozy wrap is part of one of their past collections (you can purchase the full set I’m wearing here). It’s super lightweight and perfect for both outdoor and indoor uses. It’s comfortable and makes me feel a little more classy at home when I’m sipping on wine and binge-watching Scandal haha. Another unique piece from Ellie Activewear is the metallic rose-gold bag that the outfit set comes in. It’s sooo cute! I love rose gold and it’s hard to find accessories with a metallic sheen to it. It’s girly yet simple and it makes the perfect statement piece to complete your workout look!
Special thanks to the amazing team that helped me put this look together!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Ellie Activewear, all opinions are my own.
Dream. Create. Inspire.